Tuesday, October 31, 2006

SDR-14 first impressions

Finally it arrived safe and sound at my QTH. After some initial problems with the installation of the software(I forgot to install the USB driver) I fired up the beast. My good friend Ove (OFL) installed the trial version of SpectraVue and we had contact over Skype figuring out a lot of the functions together.

I must say I am plesently surprised but there are a few things, thus far, that I don't like.

The GUI looks like it belongs in the early 90's! The old-style Windows looks like c**p. When you change the setting of the spectrum it seems to live it's own life, sometimes increasing in frequency and sometimes decreasing with no apparent logic. I would like a button in each pop-up window for updating the settings-file. The reason for this is the fact that there is a large amount of different setting that can be made and if you forget to update the settings-file and close down the programme, well tough luck....
The file size is limited by the amount of GB. I would prefer to limit the file size by specifying a time, but that's just me.
When I replayed a recording the spectrum was not the same as when I made the recording! I hope this is just a matter of setting it up correctly and not a "feature". I have not had the time to investigate this further but I will do that tomorrow.

But there are a lot of GREAT things with this machine.
The spectrum analyzer is very good with no apparent lag.
I also like the fact that you can listen to two frequencies at the same time, one in the right channel and one in the left . They can be independently tuned, within the chosen spectrum, by the click of a button.
Recording straight onto a external hard disc is also a plus, no need to fill the internal hard disc with recordings.
Transfer of station id's to a separate .wav-file is also very easy even if I would prefer .mp3-files, but I don't regard this as a big problem.

It's getting late and I have laundry to take care of so I'll finish here.

No comments: